History and culture

10. 11. 08
posted by: Admin
Hits: 2591
Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive
 

Almost eight-hundred years - short version

 

Herforst was mentioned for the first time in official documents in 1261, as

Herengaresvorst or Hergersforst.


In 2011 we were celebrating "750 years Herforst".

 

Since the early 14th Century until 1794, Herforst was part of the Luxembourg County Seinsfeld.

At that time until the 16th Century only about 14 to 16 farms formed our village. At the beginning of the 18th Century iron ore was found, dug up here and brought to Eichelhütte to melt. This contributed to a rapid growth of our village. After the mining of iron ore decreased, it was followed by the burning of charcoal and the processing of sandstone.

Tonstecher-kleinThe Herforster Sandstein (sandstone) was favored and used in many buildings along the Moselle River and within the Eifel region. At the end of the 18th Century the mining of clay began. At the same time there were pottery factories in our village.

Landwirtschaft-kleinAt the beginning of the early 19th Century the processing of sandstone sharply decreased and many men with families were driven to farming as means of survival. But a structural change has also influenced the farming sector, which reduced the numbers of farmers within the community down to only a few, who now operate farms for a side-income.

 

 

In earlier vernacular the Herforst residents were often called Heerbischda Beschkläpa”.

Yet this expression is undoubtedly for the continguousness and the special reference of the “Heerbischda” to their forest, which originally reached even to the old village center and supplied many residents with material for building houses, for heating and as a source of income.

Even today, the forest, which borders Herforst on three sides enriches the daily life of its inhabitants. There are cultural remains as evidence of our roman heritage, which invites nature lovers for sightseeing and extended walks.Langmauer2-klein

 


A must see is the replication of a section of the Roman wall in Herforst, located on the road L46, direction Trier. The wall was built by the Herforst Heimat- und Kulturverein (Traditions and Culture Club, Herforst) from original materials, which were found in the village surrounding area. Meanwhile, this replica is part of a series of more than 100 attractions in the framework of project „Roman Road”. The project is based on an Initiative of the Rhineland-Palatinate tourism agencies and combines the Romand sights of the tourism areas Moselle-Saar-River-Region, Eifel, Hunsrück, Saarland and Luxembourg.

 

 

 

 


Show cultural Heritage in and around Herforst on a large map:Kulturgüterkarte